Support the Ida B. Wells Scholarship Fund
We invite you to support UIC Diversity by making a tax-deductible donation to one or more of our funds. You will be redirected to the University of Illinois Foundation’s secure Online Giving site for your personal and credit card information.
Giving Heading link
About Heading link
University of Illinois Chicago (UIC)
Founded in 1982 by the consolidation of two U of I campuses, we are a public university zwith a commitment to our city and its surrounding communities. As one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse universities in the country we strive to provide a welcoming environment that gives our students a chance to study, work and grow with classmates who have an opportunity to broaden a student’s perspectives and worldview.
Our mission is to create knowledge that transforms our views of the world, and, through sharing and application, our students have the opportunity to then transform the world after graduation completion. While our focus is to address some of the challenges and opportunities facing not only the Chicagoland area, but all Great Cities of the 21st century as expressed by our great cities’ commitment. UIC is determined to make a difference in the lives and communities of those we serve.
Scholarship Overview Heading link
The Ida B. Wells Scholarship Fund (IBWSF) and the Family of Ida B. Wells are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding students who are admitted to the University of Illinois Chicago. Ten (10) scholars will be selected to receive a scholarship in the fall semester and if all grades remain in good academic standing, this scholarship can be renewed in the Spring Semester as well.
This scholarship could defray some of the expenses associated with the rising cost of college and for African American students who often come from underserved communities. Access to additional funding can mean the difference between being able to go to college and not having that opportunity at all.
Requirements Heading link
- Be admitted and enrolled full-time to the University of Illinois Chicago (entering freshmen only).
- Graduate rank within the top 4% of our partnership high schools.
- Open to all related majors with UIC’s 15 colleges.
- Able to demonstrate leadership skills and proof of community service projects.
- Must submit ONE Letter of Recommendation (on company letterhead).
- Must participate in Ida B. Wells – Mentorship Project.
- Participate in at least TWO Community Service Projects (per semester).
- Go to our UIC SnAP (Scholarship and Awards Program) to apply online. snap.uic.edu
Target Schools Heading link
- Perspectives Charter School – Calumet High School of Technology
- Chicago Vocational Career Academy
- Collins Academy High School
- Hansberry College Preparatory
- Harlan Community Academy High School
- Hyde Park Academy
- John Marshall Metropolitan High School
- Kenwood Academy
- Leo High School
- Martin Luther King High School
- Michele Clark Academic Preparatory High School
- Morgan Park High School
- Noble: DRW Trading College Prep
- Noble: Gary Comer College Prep
- Noble: Johnson College Prep
- North Lawndale College Prep Collins Campus School
- Perspectives Leadership Academy
- Simeon Career Academy
- Wendell Phillips High School Academy